Using Bellissimo Flexi Smoothers
I wanted to bring you all the information about these in one post so you can obtain all the information you’ll need and instructions for use, I will also add in links and offer links in case you don’t already have these little beauties in your collection already. This is a new piece of cake decorating equipment that is now a MUST in every bakers tool kit! It will change your life….
– Hello professional finish! –
What’s It All About?
Squires Kitchen has teamed up with award-winning cake designer Helen Mansey of Bellissimo Cakes to create this fantastic smoother set! Who would’ve thought two little sheets of plastic would make so much difference?
Since stocking these flexi smoothers at PartyAnimalOnline a few months a go they have been flying out like hot cakes, on many items we can find we have mixed reviews but this has had nothing but positive feedback and glowing reviews from all our customers. This is how we decide whether to keep stocking a product as we only sell the top quality brands & equipment.
Squires Bellissimo Flexi Smoothers are made with very high quality FDA approved plastic allow extremely easy use, sharp edges and smooth polished icing.
How Do I Use It?
Before using the Bellissimo Flexi Smoothers on sugarpaste it is important to create a clean, crisp edge on the cake coating underneath (e.g. marzipan or ganache). Please see further details below for pre-coating methods that I have included further down. Ganache seems to be the most popular method at current. Ganche is extremely tasty and goes with all flavoured cakes, for lemon & vanilla cakes try using white chocolate ganache for a more subtle flavour.
Use the Bellissimo Flexi Smoothers on freshly-covered cakes while the sugarpaste is still soft. For a round cake, hold the smoother with the curved edge on the top of the cake and hold the straight smoother against the side of the cake. Apply light pressure and gently run the two smoothers together around the top edge of the cake. You will notice a crisp edge starting to appear. Repeat as necessary until you are happy with the results. For a square cake, use the straight edges of each smoother to achieve a sharp edge.
This fabulous YouTube Tutorial shows you the technique used by Helen Mansey.
Pre Cake Coating
As I mentioned earlier on these are some techniques that can be used with pre-coating your cake to ensure the very best results and finish with the Squires Flexi Smoother.
- Make a ganache using one part whipping cream and two parts dark chocolate. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Layer and fill the cake with the ganache then secure the cake onto a thin cake board.
- Coat the top of the cake with ganache then coat the sides, ensuring you achieve straight sides and a crisp top edge. Allow to harden overnight.
- Brush the ganache very lightly with cooled, boiled water and apply a 4mm layer of sugarpaste to the cake. Use regular smoothers to smooth the sugarpaste. Use the Bellissimo Flexi Smoothers straight away following the instructions above.
- Cover a cake as you would in preparation for royal icing to create a sharp top edge (i.e. top and sides separately) and leave to dry for 24 hours.
- Brush with clear spirit and apply a 4mm layer of sugarpaste to the cake. Use regular smoothers to smooth the icing then follow the instructions for using the Bellissimo Flexi Smoothers above.
Where Can You Get Them?
From us of course! We stock over 1,200 lines of cake decorating & Sugarcraft equipment and we are very pleased to add the Squires Bellissimo Flexi Smoothers to our collection. They come in three sizes and we also do a discount pack when buying all three. If you are just after one for testing we recommend using the medium, it’s made to handle 6″ – 9″ cakes although from the feedback so far from our customers they say it has been fine to use on larger sizes too… a good place to start!
- Small Bellissimo Flexi Smoother for use on 3″-6″ cakes
- Medium Bellissimo Flexi Smoother for use on 8″-9″ cakes
- Large Bellissimo Flexi Smoother for use on 9″ cakes upwards
- Promotional Discount Full set – Small, Medium & Large.
More information on using Bellissimo Flexi Smoothers them can be found > HERE
Have you used this product? Why not review it…HERE